(USED) June F-5 mandolin.
June mandolins and guitars are handcrafted by Walter Johnson in Campobello, South Carolina.
This particular F-5 (his #39) left the shop in early 2013.
According to the build sheet (included with instrument) its specs are as follows:
- Old growth Adirondack spruce top
- parallel tone bar bravcing
- birdseye maple 3-piece neck with cocobolo center strip
- birdseye maple back and sides
- dual-action truss rod
- cocobolo pegged veneer with June logo and inlay
- ebony overlay on back of peghead
- ebony fretboard (non-radiused) with banjo frets
- cocobolo pick guard
- adjustable ebony bridge
- black binding
- VARNISH finish
- hardshell case
- “speed” neck
The instrument has aged brass tailpiece and tuners (Stew-Mac parts) and has had an arm-rest added. The condition of the instrument is excellent and the tone is quite pleasant and honest. The fit and finish is certainly workman-like and being #39, provides evidence of some serious time at the bench and building experience since 2001. I would say Mr. Johnson should have a bright future!
The hardshell case is in excellent condition and features the signatures of many – very many – prominent bluegrass musicians.
This instrument, if ordered today, would sell for $4,000
It is available here at a very attractive price:
Serial # 39
AMW Price: $2,950 (with case)