In 1980, five musicians went into the Arch Street Studio in Berkeley, California, and made bluegrass recording history. The Bluegrass Album, featuring Tony Rice, J.D. Crowe, Bobby Hicks, Doyle Lawson and Todd Phillips, redefined the direction of the genre for the next generation.
One ingredient in the success of that recording was an original pre-war RB-3 5-string banjo that has been with Saga (Gold Star’s parent company) for more than 30 years. The tone of that banjo, in the hands of the legendary J.D. Crowe, singlehandedly inspired countless music lovers to learn to play the banjo — and even inspired other professionals to seek that tone for themselves.
For the GF-100JD, every detail of the original was scrutinized and refined to recreate that incredible banjo in every way, especially its tone and playabilty. Now that sound is within your reach.
- Traditional V-shaped neck with single truss rod and a bound Santos rosewood fingerboard
- Deep arch tapered resonator
- Period-correct twin purfling rings
- No-hole cast machined flathead tone ring
- Deluxe Gold Star Pancake Planets
- Deluxe hardshell case included
- Number 29 of this limited run!
- 4:1 Pancake Planet Tuners
- 1 1/8″ Nut Width
- Santos Rosewood Fingerboard
- 26 3/8″ Scale Length