(NEW) One of our favorite offerings from the Deering Banjo Co., The Eagle II banjo represents the latest in tone ring innovation from the collaborative efforts of Greg Deering and Jens Kruger. It features the ground breaking patented Twenty Ten Tone Ring – a Deering original crafted unlike any other traditional tone ring. Made of brass and producing a warmer tone with a very rich mid-range and good bass and treble response, the most unique feature of the Eagle II banjo is that it is suitable to both clawhammer and bluegrass, among other styles.
As open back banjos go, this is a fairly heavy offering – comparable to the weight of a tubaphone banjo at 8.8 pounds – making it uniquely versatile for clawhammer, clawgrass, and bluegrass styles. Here you have a warm and punchy open-back banjo that welcomes metal fingerpicks, but will not kill your back – or your bank account.
Here is a video with our friend David Holt comparing five different Deering open-back banjos – including the Eagle II
- Maple Stained a Dark Red Mahogany
- Natural Ebony Fingerboard
- Original Eagle Engraved Inlays
- Slender Deering Neck Shape
- 22 Nickel-Silver Frets
- Fully Adjustable Two Way Truss Rod
- Deering Planetary Banjo Tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
- Gloss Finish
- Deering Patent Pending Twenty-Ten Tone Ring
- 11″ Three-Ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- Deering Brass Notched Tension Hoop
- 11″ Frosted Top Medium Crown Head
- 24 Round Hooks and ¼″ Hex Nuts
- 24 Bracket Shoes
- Eagle 2-Piece Flange
- Slender Shaped Armrest
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Deering True Tone Tailpiece
- 5/8″ Deering Smile Maple/Ebony Top Bridge
A strong mid range tone with good bass and vibrant highs, that is versatile for playing both Clawhammer and Bluegrass styles of playing.
G,D,G,B,D in standard G tuning.
Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Comes with Deering Light Gauge Banjo Strings tuned to in standard G tuning (g,D,G,B,D)
- Gauges: 10, 11, 13, 21W, 10
- End Type: Loop
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Resonator Diameter 13 7/8″
- Rim Diameter 11″
- Overall Instrument Length 38″
- Weighs about 9 pounds
Price includes a handsome and heavy duty Deering VEGA hard shell case.
AMW Price: $2,240