(NEW) The square-shouldered 14-fret dreadnought is the most popular steel-string acoustic guitar body shape in the world. While Collings is certainly not the only company to build them, they bring a remarkable tonal clarity to the depth and warmth usually associated with such a large, deep-bodied guitar. Although its bass response makes the dreadnought ideal for vocal accompaniment, Collings versions are also often employed by bluegrass flatpickers who must compete with inherently louder instruments such as banjos and fiddles. The wide range of woods and neck sizes offered by Collings allow dreadnought fans to find a Collings model ideally suited to their playing style and tonal preference.
And now, there is one more variety of Collings to choose from – the new TRADITIONAL models.
The Traditional or “T” Series guitars reflect Bill Collings’ return to his guitar making roots to offer an additional tonal variation on the distinctive Collings sound. Each T Series guitar is built using animal protein glue and a very thin all nitrocellulose lacquer finish on the body, making the instrument exceptionally dynamic and responsive. Bracing and tone woods are adjusted for weight and thickness to create a voicing characterized by warm, rounded highs and a present low midrange, while retaining the quick attack and strong projection that Collings is known for. Each Traditional series guitar will come with a handmade lightweight Collings case designed by Bill Collings and built in the Collings shop. The pairing of these new Traditional guitars and cases makes for a combination of old world quality and aesthetic that is unprecedented among instruments available today.
- “Baked” Adirondack spruce top
- East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Animal protein glue
- Custom wood nitrate strip rosette
- Grained ivoroid top/back body binding
- Small brown herringbone trim with 2-style backstrip
- Custom Traditional Series pre-war scalloped bracing
- No tongue brace
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- Extra thin high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Square headstock with volute
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid gold pearl Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Traditional neck profile with 2 5/16″ string spacing
- 14″-26″ Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 3/4″ bone nut and cut-through saddle
- 25 1/2″ Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Gold mother of pearl diamond and square fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ivoroid bridge pins and end pin with black dots
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge – D’Addario EJ-17 (.013″-.056″)
- Collings handmade Traditional hardshell case included!
This guitar is our first arrival of the production model for the new models. It has a BAKED Adirondack spruce top, scalloped sitka braces, small maple bridge plate and no tongue brace. It is not a huge departure from the standard Collings’ voice (“if it ain’t broke…don’t fix it”) but we will say it sounds like a nicely broken-in five-year old version of a D2H-A.
It’s new, it’s old, it’s “traditional!”
SN # 25847
AMW Price: (SOLD) (DV)